Monday, July 15, 2013

You're OYO, Alon!

I know this is unforgivably late, my dearest Alon, since it has been 11 days since you turned one year old (OYO)!  But I do have my valid reasons.

1) Tatay and Nanay were planning your party.  Planning a party is a production number!  Thank God, you have wonderful Titos and Titas who helped us out (a blog post for another time) to ease the work a bit.
2) Your Yaya Jheana went home for over a week to celebrate her own little one's birthday so Nanay and Tatay had to alternate in caring for you during that period.  And a OYO Alon is quite a handful. ;P
3) Much as I would like to chronicle your every little milestone, I still prefer to experience them with you.  :)


Mr. Born on the fourth of July!  What a year it has been for you and for us.  How your little presence changed our worlds and our lifestyles.

You can read about the excitement the day Nanay gave birth to you as well as some snippets of your first six months in a previous blog entry.  The next six months definitely got more exciting and more interesting for all of us.

FEEDING
You started eating solid food and loved your kalabasa and avocado and sweet potato.  I was actually a bit concerned because you gained little weight between six months and nine months.  Your Ninang actually suggested I supplement you with formula but I resisted this advice and instead increased your solid food intake.  Nanay is a firm believer in the powers of breastmilk and since I had a substantial supply, I saw no need to fatten you up with formula.  Our latest pedia visit showed your weight was still in the lower percentile but your Lola Mommy Elma told me that your Ninong Roy (of whom you are a Mini-Me of) was also a small baby so I was not worried (look at him now!).  Your height was in the 50th percentile so that makes me feel better.  It's easier to resolve weight issues than height issues. Most Filipinos would know that. :P 
I see you healthy and frisky and constantly on the move, so I'm certain you are doing fine and it's just genetics that make you seem small.


Alon at six months old.
I'm starting to think that babies are programmed to like spaghetti because that is your favorite food.  We started with just feeding you with noodles when you turned nine months.  And there was no going back for you.  You really eat the most when we feed you spaghetti or noodles.  What fascinated me with the food that you like was mashed potato and sardines mix.  You actually like it.  And this is mild hot bottled sardine ha!  I'm happy with that too.  I got a taste of it, since I usually eat your left overs, and it is Yum. :)  Your ultimate favorite though are your apple-banana-carrot frozen cubes.  You have it every day!  If you don't like the food I feed you, I usually resort to this.  It may not be as filling as other foods, but it assures me you get vitamin c, potassium and beta-carotene. Good job, son. :)

Alon at seven months!
You have funny eating habits too.  You would put your feet up if there is no tray on your high chair.  You would slouch on the seat.  I'll put you upright and after a while, you will be slouched again.  I don't really fuss too much about it as long as you are eating properly.  Right now, when I feed you something, you would spit it out and feed it to your self.  I think this is a sign that you would like independent feeding.  However, when I put a bowl of food in front of you, you tend to play with it instead.  So as compromise, I would give you a piece of bread to hold and feed yourself with and I feed you your meal.  We are both happy. :)

One thing is for sure with every meal, it is one big mess.  Your food tray is like a war zone... or a painting, if we be hippie about it. :P

Alon at eight months!

MOTOR SKILLS
Even when you were a new born, you were already trying to always hold your head up or try to stand up.  Not even a month into the world!  And true enough, you started being mobile early on.  By six months, you could stand up with support.  Sometimes we'd see if you'd try walking, which you did before you were seven months, except it was backwards on your tippy toes.  That surely gave your Lola Francie a laugh.

By nine months, you'd be always propping yourself up while holding on to the headboard of the bed and peek at the stickers on our wall.  By ten months, you could walk a bit with support.  Then the bit became a lot.  By eleven months, you could walk four to six steps unsupported.  The most exciting thing was you started walking unsupported for longer periods before you turned one!  Then you'd fall on your butt then you'd stand up again and walk some more.  You succeeded the most when there was a ball or toy car to run after.  You've bumped your head a couple of times, for sure. You'd cry a bit but I would tell you that it's fine. Then you'd realize, you ARE fine and move on. I try not to show my worry, but I am.  Nanay has to be brave though, so you will be brave too.  Your first steps are key to your future journeys and adventures and I hope I will never stop you from taking any.  Let's cross our fingers with that, Anak. :)
Now that you are mobile, Nanay and Tatay are getting a lot of exercise running around after you.  My back has been hurting from bending over or squatting to your height.  Sometimes I wonder if life would be a little easier with you not walking yet.  But I shove that aside immediately because mobility is a gift and that gives you lead time to explore.  So yeah, I'm glad for you. :)

Alon at nine months

PERSONALITY
Every night, I thank God, that He has blessed Nanay and Tatay with a generally happy child.  You are definitely sumpungin.  Most likely a trait you got from someone we know (nuninuninuninu!).  But most of the time, you are happy and easy to please.  Nanay and Tatay can make you laugh with silly faces or sounds or stories.  You are generally curious (though most babies are).  Your big eyes express how much you are absorbing information.  We could see how intent you are when you stare.  It can be disconcerting sometimes though. Haha!

Alon at ten months!

I also love love love that you have a sense of humor.  You do silly things like peek-a-boo (with only half your face covered) to make Nanay laugh or make pa-cute faces or just laugh out of nowhere. Sometimes, you'd show us something and smile triumphantly.  Or you'd laugh yourself silly when I carry you and kick your ball around.  I don't know what's funny but hearing your giggles motivates me up to run around along the corridor kicking after a baby's orange ball.

You have your sumpong, often when you are sleepy or want to go outside or do not want to eat or not feeling a bath or not wanting your teeth brushed or impatient when asking Nanay for milk.  But I try not to fuss too much about it.  You usually get over it fast.  It's funny though, you cry harder when you are in sumpong than when you get your vaccinations.  Your latest trip to the pedia, they injected you in the butt while you were playing with a toy.  You just had a quick "wah" and a half-second after, you were back to playing.

Alon at eleven months!

Dear, dear Alon!  There is so much to say about you.  Nanay can go on and on and on and still have something new to share.  I now understand why parents could not stop talking about their children.  Growing children are just amazing!  The rate of how much they are learning are phenomenal.  And you are our special little Alon.  We have been blessed to witness your growth.  We have been granted stewardship over you.  It is such a challenge but it is also such a gift.  I want to make the most of it since there will come a time when you might not want Nanay and Tatay watching over you too much and then at all.  So I want to take in all of you as much as I can.

You have taught me much about life, little one.  You have also taught me much about myself.  Things I never knew I was or things I never knew I was capable of.

Basta, Alon, know that your are lucky and blessed too.  That you are showered with love and surrounded with good people.  When you are older, I hope you learn gratitude and generosity.

Right now, go and discover the world some more.  My back may be hurting from bending over to see what you are seeing, but I have also been given the gift of seeing the world with a renewed sense of wonder, thanks to you.

Alon is one year old!

Mahal na mahal ka namin ni Tatay, Alon. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Anj! Happy birthday again Alon! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into Alon's first year. There will be even more awesome experiences to discover with your little boy. :) Looking forward to having our boys meet up soon!

cross eyed bear said...

Thanks, Toni! I wish I could write more often. But as it is, I'm learning so much from Alon. All LHC kids should have a meet-up soon. :)

Post a Comment